PLEASE HELP THE MESQUITE DUCKS!
Hello! And thank you for visiting WWW.MESQUITEDUCKS.COM - The reason for this website is to bring attention to the desperate needs of our Duck friends in Mesquite, Nevada.
I used to live in Mesquite, and would feed the ducks in the large pond with the waterfall in front of the Casino on West Mesquite Blvd. I moved to Utah recently, and on a recent visit to Mesquite, I went to feed the ducks, and was shocked and saddened by what I saw. The ducks are STARVING. There was a desperate struggle over every scrap of bread I gave them. I will try to post a video of this later.
Some people think the Casino cares for and feeds the ducks: THIS IS NOT TRUE! The ducks came to the pond because they didn't know any better. THE ONLY FOOD THEY GET IS FROM THE KINDNESS OF GOOD PEOPLE LIKE YOU! I have seen tourists with their children by the pond enjoying the ducks, but they don't feed them! They must figure the Casino does: they don't!
I know times are tough for everybody, but the ducks NEED you more now than ever before. If you could find it in your heart to go once or twice a week, it would mean a great deal to these ducks.
BENEFITS OF FEEDING THE DUCKS:
* THEY MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE A "CELEBRITY"! - When they see you coming with bags of bread, they will begin quacking and flocking to you (they are well behaved though!!). They will get to know you and sometimes even take the bread out of your hand!
* A GREAT LEISURE OR FAMILY ACTIVITY! - These ducks will steal your heart every time you visit. This is very cheap entertainment at it's BEST!
* THEY PUT GOOD KARMA YOUR WAY! - You will become the most important person in the lives of these ducks, and these little guys send LOTS of positive energy into your life. Try it if you don't believe me!!
WHAT DO DUCKS EAT? & HOW TO FEED THE DUCKS CHEAPLY!!!
* BREAD!!!!! Bread is always an old favorite of ducks. WAL MART has a "cart" full of "day old" bread that they sell every day CHEAPLY! This is the "good stuff".. large loaves of Sourdough, French, etc. and it's usually marked down to .80 or .90 cents a loaf! Try to avoid breads with Jalapenos or Onions as it could upset their tummys. Their favorites are Sourdough, French, Rolls, etc. though just the cheapest sandwich bread will be WELL appreciated by them! TIP: take the unsliced loaves to the deli counter and ask them to slice the bread for you. IT'S FREE, and it makes feeding the ducks much, much easier.
* POPCORN!! Subway in Wal Mart sells HUGE bags of popcorn for a dollar and some change. Not only do they LOVE POPCORN, it's also a good source of fat which they desperately need for the winter. You can also pop your own popcorn at home for pennies, put it into a big bag and feed it to them.
* Any old scraps of bread that are going bad in your home, don't throw them away, this is a gourmet feast for the ducks!!
BEST TIMES TO FEED THE DUCKS: Any time of day, before dusk!
HOW MUCH TO FEED THE DUCKS? Generally around four loaves of bread, or a large bag of popcorn or two will do the trick. Doing this even just once or twice a week will make ALL the difference in their lives.
If you are reading this, and have decided to feed the ducks once in a while, or if you have any questions, please email me at MESQUITEDUCKS@aol.com so that I know this website is helping. And please tell other locals about mesquiteducks.com !!
*YOU* MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!!
GOD BLESS THE DUCKS!
AND GOD BLESS MESQUITE, NEVADA!!